Perkins Counseling & Psychological Services offers a variety of therapy groups. We are always expanding and rotating our available groups, so be sure to check back frequently to see what’s new or coming up!
*All groups must be registered for to attend. Contact the office to sign up today!
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Group for Adolescents (13-17)
• Group Coordinator: Selena Waite, MA/CAS, LPC, LPA
• Cost: $45 per session or $400 for the full four weeks if paid on the first visit. *Insurance not accepted for this group.
• The group cycles through material/topics every 8 weeks.
• DBT is a type of cognitive behavioral therapy. It is especially helpful in identifying and changing negative thinking patterns.
How Do I Know If I Need a DBT Group? This group can help if you: struggle with intense emotions that make you feel out of control; use self injury or abuse substances to deal with your life; want better relationships; desire to have better self-esteem; want to learn healthier ways of interacting with others.
The group’s structure and goals include learning Mindfulness Skills, Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills, Emotion Regulation Skills, Distress Tolerance Skills. On-going, open group.
Anger Management Classes
*Group will begin in 2019; check back for an official start date for this group*
• Group Coordinator: Dr. Melissa Jackson, PsyD
• Cost: $60 per session or $200 for the full four weeks if paid by the Start Date. *Insurance not accepted for this group.
• Group will meet weekly for 4 weeks total.
• This group will work on targeting problems with anger using Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) techniques. This approach works on changing your thinking to be more effective, while learning other skills such as relaxation and communication techniques. The goals are for each person to learn assertiveness and conflict resolution skills; increase coping skills to manage anger; learn methods to help change thinking to be more positive and rational; and learn relaxation techniques to target emotional and physical components of anger.